Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tofu and Hummus Pita

Today was a lovely 78 degrees and I decided to spend it running along the Creek with Polly (who actually preferred to run in the creek). It was the first time this year I had to slather on sunscreen and it felt fantastic. Anyway, I decided to put off the stacks of work I have backing up and plans for an elaborate meal in order to enjoy the day. Instead, I thought I'd just throw something simple together that didn't require the oven. It almost worked.

Since Josh made hummus yesterday, I thought I'd make something to go with it. (A note about the hummus: Josh followed the recipe in the new Cook's Illustrated. They were testing recipes for really smooth hummus and it came out good last night. We added jalapenos to spice it up a bit and put in the fridge. Unfortunately, it acquired the consistency of paste overnight....but it still tasted good.) I threw together a marinade for some tofu and let it soak for a while before coating it cornstarch and frying it. However, the tofu wasn't the right consistency, so I threw the whole skillet into the oven on 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so. It came out crunchy, I'll give it that. In the end, I just threw the hummus, tofu, cucumber, tomatoes, and spinach in a pita. It was actually quite good (though I didn't let the tofu marinate long enough and then baked it too long).
To make the marinade, just blend the following ingredients together*:

1 cup OJ
1 cup Olive Oil
3 tbsp. Lime Juice
2 tbsp. Agave Nectar
1 1/2 tbsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp Cayenne
A couple cloves of fresh garlic
Fresh Ginger

*Most of these measurements are approximate, since I have a bad habit of not measuring things...

1 comment:

veganboyjosh said...

Dunno if/what I did wrong, but the tofu was most definitely better than the tempeh.

Would eat the tofu again in a heartbeat.