Saturday, April 19, 2008

Caramelized Banana Brownies with PB Frosting

So, I came across this recipe while I was perusing some food blogs the other day. Since Josh likes peanut butter and bananas (the understatement of the year), I thought I'd try to veganize this. In actuality, it wasn't difficult. I simply used the cream cheese frosting recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and added 3 tbsp. of peanut butter. And, since the brownies already have bananas in them, I simply used another banana for the binder instead of the egg the brownie mix called for (and I replaced the regular cream cheese with Tofutti).

The brownies turned out very sweet and I think the recipe could use some more tinkering--like not adding the 1/4 cup of sugar with the cream cheese and caramelized bananas. It's hard for me to say how good they are--since I don't really like chocolate and my sweet tooth is nonexistent--but Josh liked them. I should warn you, however, that even he could only eat one. They are very rich.
To see what these should look like, there's a picture on the original post. Baking isn't really my thing and a smushed chocolate bananaey looking thing is about as good as it gets when it comes to me and baking.

1 comment:

veganboyjosh said...

for the record, it's not that i could only eat one...it's more like i didn't want to consume the entire thing all at once.

i think the landlord's kids may have enjoyed them more than i did, though...