Thursday, August 21, 2008

Jackfruit Tacos

So, I've been eying these "carnitas" tacos for quite some time now (or at least the time it takes for another trip to the Pacific Ocean Market) and finally got around to trying them out yesterday. I followed pretty much followed the recipe--except I roasted the carnitas in a shallow baking dish for 20 minutes on 400 after slowcooking it (I was trying to get the crispiness that carnitas get and kind of did). I also served it with homemade pico de gallo and refried beans. I really, really liked this dish, though the jackfruit still tasted briny (in fact, the brininess was particularly strong today when it was cold...yuck) and I'm trying to figure out how get rid of that flavor altogether. Any ideas?

The good news is that I get to mark another item off my 101 things list. I tried kohlrabi last week as well, but I think I may have tried it before and I didn't do anything with it--just tried a chunk. I wasn't impressed, but I don't blame the kohlrabi. I just wasn't sure what to do with it.
Pico de Gallo
6 roma tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeno, finely diced
1 handful of cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
dash of olive oil
salt to taste

Mix the diced produce together, then carefully mix in the rest of the ingredients. Chill and enjoy.

3 comments:

Bianca said...

I still want to try these too...I saw them awhile back on Melisser's blog. But I'm still not really clear on what jackfruit is...is it really a fruit? Is it sweet?

VeganCowGirl said...

Vegan dad made jack fruit food last night as well....need to give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

thedalyn said...

Bianca, Jackfruit is the fruit flavoring used to make Juicy Fruit gum. So when it is ripe, it is sweet. But the young jackfruit tastes like nothing at all--except the brine it's packed in.