Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ebony and Ivory...

...or, in this case peanut butter "cream cheese" frosting and chocolate, do go together in perfect harmony. Josh's birthday was last Friday and I decided that I'd bake him a fancy cake for his birthday. Josh loves peanut butter and chocolate and to prove my complete and utter selflessness, I not only baked him a cake with those two things which I don't particularly like but I also baked--which I don't like to do.

Luckily for me, Smitten Kitchen had recently posted a recipe for a chocolate peanut butter cake. As she points out, this cake is incredibly rich: three layers of chocolate cake connected with peanut butter cream cheese frosting and topped with a chocolate glaze. it also has more sugar than flour and an impressive amount of oil. Josh, by some miracle, managed to put away two good size pieces after a big dinner. But, be forewarned, this cake is not for weak of heart--or stomach.
Also, this cake was exceptionally easy to veganize using earth balance, soy creamer, egg replacer and so forth. I do, however, recommend cooking the cakes for a few minutes longer, though I'm not sure why mine took longer (replaced ingredients, altitude, ineptness...?).

4 comments:

Bianca said...

You don't like peanut butter and chocolate together! Wow! I'm beside myself....okay, now I'm back inside myself. That cake looks scrumptious. Just so you know, my b-day is in October...in case you wanna make me a cake too. :-)

thedalyn said...

Sometimes I like them together--the krispy peanut butter balls, for example. But, I don't really like chocolate and I like peanut butter in a limited way. What can I say?

VeganCowGirl said...

Beautiful cake. Way to go Josh!

veganboyjosh said...

best.
cake.
evar.