Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Vegan Mofo: Egg in my Face

Saying you're vegan often elicits a list--from whomever happens to be around--of a wide range of food that people can't live without. Cheese usually tops that list for omnivores. Vegans will often cite things like Nutella as the food they miss the most. Neither of these things moves me. I thought I would miss cheese and I still sometimes get a yen for feta, but Nutella does nothing for me. Instead, I miss eggs (and steamed clams, but that's another story).

As good as tofu scrambles are (especially the one in Vcon) and as delicious as the Skinny Bitch egg salad is, I still dream about the perfectly fried egg. There simply is no substitute--or, at least, there wasn't. I came across this recipe somewhere on the internets, so kudos to whoever came up with this. Perhaps it's been so long that I don't remember what a real breakfast sandwich tastes like, but I don't care. This is crazy good. I have ended my love affair with eggs once and for all.

Now, if only I can figure out a way to make vegan steamed clams...

Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches (4 servings)

1 pound extra firm tofu
3 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. black salt (find this at all costs)
8 thin slices FYH cheddar
8 slices veggie ham or canadian bacon (or use tempeh bacon)
4 vegan english muffins
Earth Balance

Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, and salt. Slice tofu into 8 medium width rectangles and brush one side of tofu with vinegar mixture. Put tofu mixture side down on a baking sheet and brush the other side of the tofu. Heat oven to 425 and wait 10 minutes. Brush tofu with mixture one more time and bake each side for 10-12 minutes. If you have any leftover mixture, brush the tofu again when you flip it over.

Meanwhile, pour a little oil in a frying pan and fry fake meat a minute or two on each side. Toast and butter muffins.

About 3 minutes before the tofu is done, break each cheese slice in half and place both halves on each piece of tofu. Comtinue cooking until cheese melts.

Layer the tofu and fake meat on the english muffin and try not to burn your mouth.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The real question is, would Nina like it as well?

They do seem to love the Primal Strips vegan seitan jerky as much as meat, so perhaps...

Jen Treehugger said...

Niiice!
That's a good looking Breakfast Muffin make no mistake!

Sheree' said...

I have to say that is one nice looking breakfast!. Way to go!

donesmoking said...

looks great, thanks for the recipe!

Bianca said...

OMG! I LOVE these! My friend Steph makes them, using the same recipe I believe. And she brought a big batch over for moving day last weekend....so freakin' good!

Bex said...

I've heard of these but haven't made one yet. Now I'm getting a random craving . . .

Bethany said...

I've made attempts at my own version (not bad), but I think I'm going to have to try this recipe. I hear black salt is the secret.

currenlty I'm on a tofu benedict kick. if you have the saucy vegan, her hollandaise sauce is delicious.