Saturday, September 13, 2008

Smoky Miso Tofu and Cantaloupe Salsa

I love melon; I just don't like cantaloupe. I don't know what it is, but I've always though that cantaloupe just tastes...funky. That said, cantaloupes abound around here right now and I ran across a recipe for cantaloupe salsa that I thought just might make that funky melon palatable. Since I've been making a conscious effort to eat more salads, I threw together a salad and decided that flavors would go perfectly with Veganyumyum's Smoky Miso Tofu (I think her tamarind glaze would also be perfect with this salsa). Like everything I've ever tried from her, it was amazing, and the salsa and tofu made great wraps later in the week.
Cantaloupe Salsa
1 cantaloupe, small diced
1 small red onion, finely diced
1/2 jicama, finely diced
1 handful of cilantro, chopped
1 habanero, minced or very finely diced
Juice of one lime
A squirt of agave

Mix all ingredients together. As with most salsa, the longer this sits, the better it gets. Letting the flavors meld overnight is ideal--if you can wait that long.

1 comment:

Bianca said...

I used to HATE cantaloupe! But one day, I was at my parents house and my mom had some cut up in a bowl in the fridge. My dad was eating some with salt and pepper on it, which I thought was weird, but I took a bite, and suddenly realized that I did like it...only it had to have salt and pepper. I think I'd like this salsa because it's got some savory elements, like hot peppers!